[mythtv-users] Dell PowerEdge 2550 1 GHz as dedicated backend/storage..?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 23:05:24 UTC 2007

> I'm willing to believe that some SCSI drives are more reliable than
> some SATA drives.  But a lot of mid-range SCSI drives share the same
> mechanics as mid-range SATA drives from the same model line, and I
> have a hard time believing there's any reliability difference in
> those cases.  Even those of us buying SCSI for home use aren't going
> to be buying the kind of 15K RPM server disks that would have
> different mechanical parts than SATA models.

In my opinion the reason for CMU findings is that even though SCSI
drives are made with better parts the SCSI drives spin the disks
faster (10K or 15K) and seek in half the time (causing higher stresses
on the mechanics) as a result about the same rate of failure as your
typical 7200 RPM SATA drive.