[mythtv-users] Dell PowerEdge 2550 1 GHz as dedicated backend/storage..?

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Mon Nov 19 23:06:51 UTC 2007

    > Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 17:41:01 -0500
    > From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra at baylink.com>

    > After 20 years experience with hard drives, I think I'll continue to
    > believe that SCSI bubbles are more reliable, even if people's white
    > papers don't back me up.

Ahh, the beauty of cargo cults.

In that 20 years, the cost per bit of hard drives has decreased by a
factor of a million.  Don't you think that the way that drives are
manufactured might have changed just a teensy little bit?  Not to
mention things like who makes them?

If you're not very heavily discounting your prior experience (e.g.,
using some sort of weighted exponential with a pretty steep dropoff),
then one bad experience 20 years ago on hardware that hasn't been made
since can taint your interaction with all hardware forever.  That doesn't
seem like a reasonable way to deal with a rapidly-changing environment.

(It -is- a good explanation of phobias, childhood traumas, and the sort
of one-shot learning that tells animals in static environments which foods
might poison them.  It doesn't seem to map well into exponential technologies,
though...)