[mythtv-users] On nVidia 6200 can run SVIDEO TVOutFormat, can't run COMPONENT

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 00:49:00 UTC 2007

> That wiki page isn't where I learned this stuff.  But, I just checked that
> page out and I've tried what that page discusses.
>
> I've gone back and tried to make my xorg.conf as simple as possible by
> modifying xorg.conf.failsafe and only adding the stuff that is necessary
> to get TV out over the component cable.  And, when I did that, as soon as I
> added "TVOutFormat" "COMPONENT", there was no picture again.  The simplified
> xorg.conf is attached.  They're both commented out now, but you can see
> where I've played with "COMPONENT" and "SVIDEO" as values for "TVOutFormat".
>
> I'm wondering if there isn't some knowledge of a bug or something that
> needs to be worked around for some 6200 cards to get component TV out.
>
> -Levander
>

> # xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
> #
> # This file was generated by failsafeDexconf, using
> # values from the debconf database and some overrides to use vesa mode.
> #
> # You should use dexconf or another such tool for creating a "real"
> xorg.conf
> # For example:
> #   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
> Section "Files"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Module"
>        Disable         "dbe"
>        Disable         "dri"
>        Disable         "glx"
>        Disable         "vbe"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
>        Driver          "kbd"
>        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
>        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
>        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
>        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
>        Driver          "mouse"
>        Option          "CorePointer"
>        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
>        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
>        Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>        Identifier      "Television Device"
>        Driver          "nvidia"
>        BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>        Identifier      "Television Monitor"
> #       Option          "DPMS"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>        Identifier      "Default Screen"
>        Device          "Television Device"
>        Monitor         "Television Monitor"
>        Option          "TVStandard" "HD480i"
> #       Option          "TVOutFormat" "COMPONENT"
> #       Option          "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
> #       DefaultDepth    16
>        SubSection "Display"
> #               Depth   16
> #               Modes   "800x600"
>        EndSubSection
> [...]

I wrote the original how to on the wiki using a 6600 and have used a 6200.
It works great.  Post the exact config that doesnt work and ill take a look.

have this in your screen section should do the trick:

   Section "Screen"
       Identifier     "Default Screen"
       Device         "NVIDIA Corporation NV43 [GeForce 6600]"
       Monitor        "Visual Sensa"
       Option     "UseEDID" "FALSE"
       Option     "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
       Option     "TvOutFormat" "Component"
       #------------480p Group-----------------------------
       #Option     "TVStandard" "HD480p"
       #Option     "metamodes" "CRT: 720x480 +0+0"
       #Option     "TVStandard" "HD720p"
       #Option     "metamodes" "CRT: 1280x720 +0+0"
       Option     "metamodes" "CRT: 1920x1080 +0+0"
       Option     "TVStandard" "HD1080i"
       Option      "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
   End Section

Mitchell