[mythtv-users] Dell PowerEdge 2550 1 GHz as dedicated backend/storage..?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Nov 20 03:30:05 UTC 2007

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 02:58:00PM -0800, David Brodbeck wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2007, at 2:41 PM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > After 20 years experience with hard drives, I think I'll continue to
> > believe that SCSI bubbles are more reliable, even if people's white
> > papers don't back me up.
>
> Faith-based IT? ;)
>
> I'm willing to believe that some SCSI drives are more reliable than
> some SATA drives.  But a lot of mid-range SCSI drives share the same
> mechanics as mid-range SATA drives from the same model line, and I
> have a hard time believing there's any reliability difference in
> those cases.  Even those of us buying SCSI for home use aren't going
> to be buying the kind of 15K RPM server disks that would have
> different mechanical parts than SATA models.

  Plus, there's the issue of how hard you're driving each.

  Letting the SATA drives sit mostly idle will probably yield
skewed results in favor of SATA when compared to SCSI drives
are driven so hard that the array they are in are bound to
melt a hole in the datacenter floor. I don't think anyone
is suggesting to run your "interesting" loads on ATA disks.