[mythtv-users] Mechanical cable splitter

greg at nodecam.com greg at nodecam.com
Fri Nov 16 17:43:48 UTC 2007

> BTW, when I had a Time Warner DVR, I did have "instant response" AND a
> DVR.
> Just because a typical MythTV setup doesn't offer that capability, doesn't
> necessarily mean it is impossible or undesirable.  Is anyone apposed to
> having both?  Like if you could have both, but simply turn it off with a
> check box, would you turn it off?

Ah - it's a bit misleading to say that you had "instant response" from
your cable PVR - I suspect that if you could hook up an external video
source to it (ie PS2,) you'd have the same issues.  I get "instant
response" to the Myth EPG via MythFrontend.  The cableco/satco PVRs all
buffer stuff in a similar way, they just hide the details.

I was playing with PiP the other day, with the SD feed of a football game
in the PiP window while the HD feed was displayed on the main screen.  The
SD (straight from analog cable) feed was a few seconds ahead of the HD
stream (straight from the HD receiver)  What does "Live" mean anymore?

The OSD/Guide on my digital cable receiver has never been pulled up via
Myth, since I capture digital stuff via firewire, but I would fully expect
it to behave like you described if I'd tried it.

Speaking of Guitar Hero (I know, you weren't) - there are HDTV's out there
(lots of them) that do enough processing of the video to make games like
Guitar Hero very difficult /impossible to play, because the video is a few
extra milliseconds laggy.  I can't imagine what playing it via Myth would
be like ;)

Greg