[mythtv-users] questions on using Mac Mini as remote frontend...

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 14:30:10 UTC 2007

I'm thinking of getting a Mac Mini for the bedroom as primarily a
remote mythfrontend for watching TV/DVD and playing music.

reading through the list and the wiki it seems like all the major
parts of mythfrontend work with the OSX compile of mythtv including
SPDIF output for AC3 on the newer Intel Mini's. I'll be using wireless
for now, but will run a cat5e line to the bedroom so i can play back
my recorded HD content.

But I do have some questions...

1080p stutter? i'm confused on this issue, it seems to be only with
the older, slower, Mini's or that it's just that people were trying to
playback 1080i content over wireless? where does this stand right now?

DVD playback? There seems to be a patch to use the internal framework
but that looks to have been abandoned. What is the option for playing
DVD's back in mythfrontend on OS X then?

x264/h264 playback? I assume the cpu is more than capable of playing
this back? I've got some conversions of tv shows to x264 and am hoping
to be able to play them back.

MythMusic? does it work or do people just use iTunes?

any other current gotchas? I'll be running SVN since thats what I have
on my backend and main frontend.

Thanks!
--
Steve