[mythtv-users] Direct TV

James Gutshall Jr warchildx at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 17:41:48 UTC 2007

Depends on the IRD itself.  Some support a "Low speed data connection" but
that is dependend on the hardware, verifying pinouts, and building your own
connection.  I cant go into all the specifics, but you can research on your
own if you would like.

Easier than that is to use an irblaster.

you can buy one cheap, or build it yourself. and normal lirc supports them.

http://www.irblaster.info/
http://www.lirc.org/transmitters.html

Essentially, using a script, and irblaster, and lirc, you can have mythtv
"send" the IR codes to the IRD to have it change automatically.  alot of
users have this setup with cable boxes as well as satellite recievers, so
following this path will get you the most help on this list.

PS: For the output LED, I just used the "High Output IR LED" that radioshack
carries for about $2 us.  if you are doing this on the cheap, and dont care
about looks, you can wack the end off a serial cable, use a ohm meter to
verify pinouts, and "borrow" the IR led from a old remote control.  add a
diode, and you are good to go.  Though this is only recommended if you dont
care about the safety of your serial port.  otherwise, spend the $20 and get
a nice kit/packaged version.
--James