[mythtv-users] Astound Unencrypted Channels

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 17:33:16 UTC 2007

On Nov 20, 2007 12:52 AM, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> says:
> > I'm in San Francisco and considering a move from DirecTV to Astound
> > cable.

 reportedly do), and is why I originally chose RCN over Comcast.

> Two caveats:

I would add one more caveat.  Astound is about to add channels for the
former-RCN lineups.  This was supposed to happen around the end of
August, pushed back to October/November, and now, who knows when (they
never give me a definitive answer when I speak to them).  When this
happens, and they match the lineups for former-RCN customers to be
like what the lineup for other Astound customers receive, it is
anyones guess as to what will go over firewire.

In the meantime, go for it, you will get lets of channels over
firewire.  The HD channels available are less than what is available
from comcast, but of course, very few of those on comcast are
available via firewire.

One other thing is the quality of Astound is somewhat lacking.  I get
weird glitches when watching from my RCN-provided STB to my TV (not
using myth), where the pic can scamble (particularly true of NBC in
HD), my STB runs real hot, and the firewire is not so reliable.