[mythtv-users] Dell PowerEdge 2550 1 GHz as dedicated backend/storage..?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Nov 20 18:06:29 UTC 2007

On Nov 20, 2007, at 8:33 AM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> This is, as I like to point out, the kicker: it's the rated duty
> cycle.
>
> SCSI drives are, I believe rated for 90-100% duty cycle over their
> MTBF.
>
> ATA drives, not so much.

I've always wondered how this played into the old saw that turning a
hard disk on and off was harder on it than leaving it spinning.  Is
that just an old wive's tale?

It's hard to find duty cycle specs for hard drives.  Seagate doesn't
list them on their data sheets, as far as I can tell, other than a
vague statement that the drives are "designed for 24x7 use."  (This
is the Barracude ES7.2 data sheet, for their 7200 RPM disk line.  The
SCSI and SATA drives share a data sheet.  Maybe I'm missing the
errata sheet where they explain that the good stuff only goes into
the ones they ship with a SCSI interface. ;) )