[mythtv-users] Astound Unencrypted Channels

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 04:16:39 UTC 2007

On Nov 20, 2007 6:46 PM, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> says:

> True. However, I am optimistic that a channel-lineup change will not
> involve encryption changes. Also, Kirk Bocek (who subscribes to
> Astound in the East Bay) told me during the summer that there he a)
> has clear QAM on all channels, including HD locals (he doesn't
> subscribe to any premium channels of any kind) and b) Astound
> rebroadcasts analog stations on digital channels.
>

> The forthcoming new channels will significantly narrow the gap,
> assuming that they will be the ones our East Bay counterparts have
> that we don't. In any case, given the choice between keeping HDNet
> and--especially--HDNet Movies and getting the additional channels
> Comcast offers, the choice is easy. (Hitchcock marathon next weekend
> on HDNet Movies; my MythTV setup is primed for that!)

I have been told by Astound that it will be the same lineup as the
east bay.  The issue is getting some cabling connected under the bay.
It has taken longer than expected.  This will be very good for added
channels, and exciting to hear about the success of getting it on QAM.
 I would love to just get a HDHR and pull everything with that, as I
imagine it is more reliable than firewire, but reluctant to invest in
one unless I think it can get all I want.

> > and the firewire is not so reliable.
>
> Sorry to hear that you've never completely figured our your FireWire
> issues; other than the two caveats I listed in my original reply, I'm
> perfectly happy with my FireWire connectivity, which I've had for two
> years next month.

I run the script that primes the firewire when not in use, but I still
get some issues.  It is just not 100% guaranteed to capture everything
I request, but works about 70%.  I have considered replacing the
astound STB, but haven't had the time.