[mythtv-users] USB remote / DVD drive on a hub?

migmog migmog at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 12:06:26 UTC 2007

Hi Mythers

I'm about to embark on redesigning my Myths system. I want to put the
frontend box in a cupboard with a long cables to connect to the TV.
Ideally there would be a single USB cable connecting all the
peripherals, so I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with the
following setup:

- Do USB remote sensors work through a hub?
- Would a USB/IDE converter attached to a DVD drive work through a hub?
- Does anyone use a USB audio box? Does it sound OK?

If so, I will be making a small front end box containing a USB hub
attaching to a DVD drive, a remote sensor, a card reader, maybe a VFD
and a couple of buttons. Maybe USB audio as well, so I don't need to
put an audio cable through the wall.

No computer => no noise, no heat. It would be nice if there was just
the S-Video cable and a single USB cable going through the wall,
though I'm expecting it not to work completely given that my
experience of USB hubs has been less than satisfactory.

migmog