[mythtv-users] ira-3 receiver and URC-6131remote

Bruce Taber brutab at verizon.net
Wed Nov 21 12:24:08 UTC 2007

Bruce Taber wrote:
> Matt Lane wrote:
>
>>     I have a number of these units running on FC7 & FC8 using the
>>     Hauppauge
>>     remotes. The lircd version is 0.8.3-CVS. Do you have the options for
>>     lircd setup to use the irman driver?
>>
>>     [user at shuttle1 ~]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/lircd
>>     # Options to lircd
>>     LIRCD_OPTIONS="-H irman -d /dev/ttyS0"
>>
>>     Now, if I could figure out the Tira magic incantation things would
>>     be a
>>     bit better.
>>
>>     Bruce
>>     ---------------------------------------------------------
>>

>> Nope, didn't know i needed irman.  Okay, I have that installed and put
>> in the line above as you said.  Now when I do a irw the service lircd
>> status gives me:
>> lircd dead but subsys locked
>>
>> And the messages say:
>> Nov 20 21:05:42 myth-fe1 lircd-0.8.2-CVS[2935]: could not open /dev/ttyS0
>> Nov 20 21:05:42 myth-fe1 lircd-0.8.2-CVS[2935]: irman_init():
>> Input/output error
>>
>> cat /dev/ttyS0 gives me:
>>             cat: /dev/ttyS0: Input/output error
>>
>> irrecord --driver=irman --device=/dev/ttyS0 /home/mythtv/6131.irman
>> gives me:
>>
>> irrecord: could not init hardware (lircd running ? --> close it, check
>> permissions)
>>

>> Thoughts?  I am wondering how mucked up things are now because of
>> trying to get things working the other way.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Matt

> It sounds like you are having more basic problems than just the ira-2
> device configuration. The /dev/ttyS0 needs to be adjusted for your
> specific setup. The ttySx is dependent on how your system is setup. If a
> 'cat /dev/ttyS0' is attempted on a working system the command is just a
> blank line waiting. If the 'cat' is done on an unconnected port (such as
> /dev/ttyS1 on my system) it will display the same as you have shown above.
>
> Here is what is listed for serial ports on my system:
>
> ll /dev/ttyS?
> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 64 2007-11-07 11:58 /dev/ttyS0
> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 65 2007-11-07 11:58 /dev/ttyS1
> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 66 2007-11-07 11:58 /dev/ttyS2
> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 67 2007-11-07 11:58 /dev/ttyS3
>
> You can check your serial ports with stty -F /dev/ttySx. That will
> provide the parameters of the specific port. A port with a working ira-2
> on my system shows:
>
> [root at shuttle1 ~]# stty -F /dev/ttyS0
> speed 9600 baud; line = 0;
> min = 1; time = 1;
> ignbrk -brkint -icrnl -imaxbel
> -opost
> -isig -icanon -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echoctl -echoke
>
> The unconnected port displays:
>
> [root at shuttle1 ~]# stty -F /dev/ttyS1
> stty: /dev/ttyS1: Input/output error.
>
> You need resolve which port you have actually connected the ira-2 device
> first. Then make those adjustments in the configuration.

> [...]
I should have added that when the serial port and configuration is
correctly done you'll be able to run irw without it killing lircd. The
ira-3's (those are typos in the previous information) LED will come on
solid. The LED will flash in response to a keypress on the remote. The
output from irw, which, is dependent on the entries in /etc/lircd.conf
should be similar to this:
[root at shuttle1 ~]# irw

ffffce0100000000 00 OK hauppauge
ffffce0100000000 00 OK hauppauge
ffffce0100000000 00 OK hauppauge

Just as a side note, these devices work great once you figure out how to
get it configured. They receive everything. Even the output from a
nearby laptop will cause the LED to flash.

HTH,

Bruce