[mythtv-users] Newbie with a shopping list for review please

Taco Mel taco_mel at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 21 13:08:49 UTC 2007

> 1-ASUS M2NPV-VM Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

I've been happy with this board, except with the
component output.  My TV expects 1080i @ 59.97 Hz and
the TV encoder chip can only do 1080i @ 60 Hz.  This
leads to some flicker particularly with horizontal
lines.  Fortunately my TV also has a DVI port and I'm
using that with great success.

> 1-Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-500 MCE Dual TV Recorder...

I also have one of these.  As others have pointed out,
this card does not do HD.  You will have two options
with this card on capturing a signal: analog signal
from the cable line, or capture (S-video, composite)
from a digital cable box.  I was pleased with the
capture of analog cable, but there is some discussion
of (older) Philips tuners being better than (newer)
Samsung tuners.  I actually purchased my card on eBay
because that was the only way to guarantee Philips
tuners.  I have since switched to DirecTV and I am
using this card to capture from the set top boxes
(S-video).  I am experiencing the audio distortion
problem described in the wiki.  Although the
workaround, which I have updated on the wiki page, is
now working for me.  If you're going to be using this
as a framegrabber from your set top box, you'll also
need a way to control your set top box, which I don't
see on your list.

Regarding one remote to control all of your gear,
depending on how fancy you want to get, consider the
Logitech Harmony.  I have one programmed up to control
everything and the "activity" buttons are ultimately
mapped into MythTV jump points.  It took a fair amount
of setup effort but was well worth the time.