[mythtv-users] Multiple directories

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Nov 21 15:15:56 UTC 2007

Michael T. Dean wrote:

> You know, this entire thread was talking about moving recoridngs, not
> about moving MythVideo videos.  Therefore, the advice wasn't relevant to
> what you're trying to do.
>
> Recordings are stored without location information in the DB.  Instead,
> they all must live in the one recording directory specified in settings
> (or, if using SVN trunk, must live in one of the directories in the
> local storage groups).
>
> MythVideo videos are stored with absolute paths in the DB.  If you move
> the file, the path must be updated.  This may be possible through the
> Video Manager (but it's been a long time since I've been in there, so I
> can't say for sure without checking, but I'll let you check, instead).
> If so, it's a one-by-one process.  To "move" them all, you'll probably
> need to edit the DB data directly.

You know, this is one of the things that I think confuses the heck out of a lot
of new Mythtv users. I suppose the reason is that Mythtv came first, and then
MythVideo is a plugin with it's own rules which came later.

But to most users, a file with video on it is a file with video on it,
regardless of it's origins. Is there any specific reason why Mythvideo files
shouldn't use the same storage mechanisms as recorded data? OK you'd probably
have to set various flags in the database entries differently, but even so. If
you have a mechanism for storing and managing video files, why not make use of
it? If I had hacked up^W^Wdesigned MythVideo, the existing file management would
be one of the first things I would have looked at. Why re-invent the wheel?

Mike Perkins