[mythtv-users] Multiple directories

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Nov 21 15:24:26 UTC 2007

On Nov 21, 2007, at 7:15 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:

> You know, this is one of the things that I think confuses the heck
> out of a lot
> of new Mythtv users. I suppose the reason is that Mythtv came first,
> and then
> MythVideo is a plugin with it's own rules which came later.
>
> But to most users, a file with video on it is a file with video on it,
> regardless of it's origins. Is there any specific reason why
> Mythvideo files
> shouldn't use the same storage mechanisms as recorded data? OK you'd
> probably
> have to set various flags in the database entries differently, but
> even so. If
> you have a mechanism for storing and managing video files, why not
> make use of
> it? If I had hacked up^W^Wdesigned MythVideo, the existing file
> management would
> be one of the first things I would have looked at. Why re-invent the
> wheel?

Because videos don't expire. Recordings do. The recordings directories
are meant to stay completely full and expire programs as needed for
space. This doesn't work for videos since you won't have any room to
add a video to the recording storage directory.

Also, I don't want to add a video to my system which results in
expiring a day's worth of programming.

-Brad