[mythtv-users] Symlink for /storage/videos ?

Lan Barnes lan at falleagle.net
Wed Nov 21 16:23:10 UTC 2007

On Tue, November 20, 2007 7:20 pm, Levander wrote:
> lanas wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>>   Is it OK to use a symlink for /storage/videos or will this mess
>> something up ?  I plan to add another drive to the box.
>
> No idea about the symlink.  I would assume no because I've used symlinks
> for lots of crazy stuff under Linux.  I've never noticed any difference
> between a symlink and a regular folder.
>
> But, you know that you can just mount the new disk on /storage/videos in
> /etc/fstab?

... or mount the new HD as a subdir, as in:

As root, add to /etc/fstab

  /dev/hd<new>  /storage/videos/more  ext3 defaults 0 0

As root, run:

  mkdir /storage/videos/more

Either reboot (the M$ way) or as root, run

  mount /storage/videos/more

If it returns w/o message, you have the new drive mounted. fstab will
automagically mount it in the future.

IIRC, in video storage, subdirs are automatically recognized.

--
Lan Barnes

SCM Analyst              Linux Guy
Tcl/Tk Enthusiast        Biodiesel Brewer