[mythtv-users] Multiple directories

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Nov 21 17:42:48 UTC 2007

On Nov 21, 2007, at 9:12 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:

>> Because videos don't expire. Recordings do. The recordings
>> directories
>> are meant to stay completely full and expire programs as needed for
>> space. This doesn't work for videos since you won't have any room to
>> add a video to the recording storage directory.
>>
>> Also, I don't want to add a video to my system which results in
>> expiring a day's worth of programming.
>>
> Points taken. But, aren't there one or two recordings you have with
> the
> do-not-expire flag set? (If you had small children you'd have a
> *lot* more than
> two). Similarly, I can think of videos I would want to upload, maybe
> watch once
> or twice, then get rid of. So there's certainly some overlap, in my
> mind at
> least, between the two sets.

Nope. Every recording I have is set to auto-expire based on date. I've
trained my family that if they don't watch something in the time it
takes 1.5TB of storage to push it off the drive, it isn't worth
watching. However, my youngest is 10 and my oldest is 16 so they are
old enough to understand the concept. Even movies that are on TV are
set to expire. I can either buy the DVD or wait for it to come on again.

This doesn't account for the basic problem that directories meant for
recording programs are supposed to be filled to capacity all the time.
Every time you wanted to add a video, you'd have to manually delete a
bunch of recordings to fit the video or automatically expire a bunch
of programs to import it. I can actually see how that would be ok. I
can also see a thousand threads on this list saying, "What happened to
my recordings? I imported a video and now my precious TV programs are
gone!" or better yet, "I don't have anything set to auto-expire,
imported a video and now my system is hosed because I filled up all
available drive space."

> Perhaps the introduction of storage groups will help here. If one
> group is
> dedicated to 'things to be kept' it won't get in the way of the
> usual run of the
> mill stuff that gets seen, then goes as the space is needed.
>
> Mike Perkins

Now that makes sense to have a videos storage group much like the
LiveTV storage group with its own set of rules for space and
expiration. I guess I am of the mindset that tv should all expire when
it gets old  and anything worth buying on DVD is worth keeping at your
fingertips on the hard drive.

-Brad