[mythtv-users] Mechanical cable splitter

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Nov 21 17:56:08 UTC 2007

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 09:55:37AM -0800, David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Nov 20, 2007, at 5:36 AM, Josh White wrote:
> > As a machine designer, I know it's kind of a cop out when you
> > complain that the user isn't using it right.  If the machine is
> > designed well, it will work as the user wants it to work.
>
> Assuming the user is willing to accept the compromises necessary to
> get what they want.

Indeed.  MPEG video works the way it works.

If users want the number of channels they want, then MPEG compression
at several stages in the transmission channel is non-optional, and
viewers really are just gonna have to deal with it.  It's not Myth's
fault.

> There *may* be room for improvement in Myth's channel-change speed,
> but it's never going to happen "as fast as you can press/release the
> button."  There's just too much going on when you're recording a
> stream and playing it back, instead of just overlaying it as it comes
> in like xawtv does.

Entirely.  :-)  The parts of it that are, again, though, are the price
you pay for being able to rewind live TV.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Witty slogan redacted until AMPTP stop screwing WGA