[mythtv-users] MythTV Status in your MOTD (and email) - Version 0.5

Andrew Ruthven andrew at etc.gen.nz
Thu Nov 22 17:53:26 UTC 2007

Hello,

I'm pleased to announce a new version of my little script - 0.5.

Notable new features (from the new ChangeLog):
 * Add support for printing colour in the encoder status display.
   (This may only work correctly if you are using a black background)
 * Show any schedule conflicts, or if the MythTV Perl API isn't
   usable, a warning is displayed.
 * Display the amount of time until the next recording.
 * Add --version & --help options.
 * Allow suppressing blocks of output.
 * The report can be sent via email with the subject set correctly.
   With an option to only send out email if schedule conflicts are
   detected.

If you install the .deb, then the MOTD is updated automatically and the
email will be sent daily if there are conflicts (and you've set some
email addresses).

As usual, find it at:
  http://www.etc.gen.nz/projects/mythtv/mythtv-status.html

What is mythtv-status?

The other day I was recompiling some kernels during the day on our
MythTV backend, which at the time happened to be recording my wifes
favourite program (Grey's Anatomy, we discovered it part way through the
season, so the repeats are good).  It turns out the compiling caused
some issues with the recording (which reduced the WAF).

So to increase the WAF, I'm making sure this doesn't happen again.  I've
written a script that spits out the MythTV status which is then
displayed in the MOTD.

I've found this is a pretty effective way of letting me know of any
upcoming recordings and what is going to be happening on the system in
the next little while.  It is a whole lot easier than using the status
page on MythWeb.

Cheers!

--
Andrew Ruthven