[mythtv-users] Athlon X2 BE2300 ok for HDTV?

Chris Ribe chrisribe at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 02:27:56 UTC 2007

On Nov 22, 2007 5:44 PM, Andreas <linuxdreas at launchnet.com> wrote:

> I saw an interesting ad for the Athlon X2 Dualcore BE2300 & ECS mainboard
> at
> Fry's and was wondering if anyone knows if using such a system would be
> fast enough for playback of QAM and/or ATSC recordings?
>
> --
> Gruß
> Andreas

If I was going to be pedantic, I would give an unqualified "yes." QAM and
ATSC are simply modulation schemes, and your tuner bears the sole
responsibility of dealing with them.  By the time your video gets to Myth
for playback it has been demodulated into a bitstream.  The resolution and
codec will determine the amount of processor needed at that point.

That said, you did mention HDTV in the subject line, so I will give a
qualified "yes" as my final answer.  With the right video card and driver
you will be able to playback 1080i mpeg-2 content just fine with that
processor.  You may not be able to utilize all of the available
deinterlacing methods for 1080i content, though.

-chris

--
TV/IT Engineer
WCJB-TV Gainesville, FL