[mythtv-users] Additional Storage

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Nov 23 16:37:06 UTC 2007

Paul Broadwith wrote:
> I've ordered a new 500Gb IDE drive for my MythTV box and was wondering
> if somebody can offer any suggestion.
>
> I'm going to move the MythTV backend onto a dedicated machine and the
> way I was going to do it was move the existing drives over to the new
> machine and see if it works (it should as the machines are similar).
> However that's not my question.
>
> What would you guys suggest? Should I reinstall Myth onto the 500Gb
> drive and use that exclusively OR should I just add the 500Gb drive to
> the 200Gb one I already have in the machine and redirect the recordings
> folder to it?

Don't put your system on any of them. Rummage around in your drawer and see if
you have a much smaller serviceable disk to build your system on. My system disk
is 8Gb which is plenty (Mike Dean will probably say disk is cheap. It is if you
have any money).

This way you can get your basic system up and running before you touch the disks
with your media files on. It also means you can pull your media disks and use
them elsewhere if your system dies.

The point of having a separate system disk, which also houses your Mysql
database(s), is that you keep disk contention down. I/O writes to media files
won't then conflict with writes to database pages - while it's writing seek
tables, for example.

Also, of course, when you then upgrade your distribution to the next version, it
keeps you from making mistakes and perhaps losing your media files.

Mike Perkins