[mythtv-users] S-video quality

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Fri Nov 23 18:24:37 UTC 2007

On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 08:18:47AM -0800, Mark Fink wrote:
> In this scenario, what are the pitfalls of attempting an s-video
> configuration? How will s-video output in this scenario compare to
> s-video output from a Comcast cable box or a set-top DVD player or a
> Tivo (all of which look good to me on my SDTV)?

I use SVideo out on a 5200 to a 27" CRT. When the recording is
fabulous, so is the playback. When the source is lousy, so is
the playback.

Would I feed HD signals to an HDTV this way? Heck no. That's
what VGA and DVI are for. But the LCD of my dreams is another
few price drops away, so...

The feed from my PVR500, capturing 720x480 at 6500Kb/s average,
is better than my Comcast cable box, better than my TiVo S1 at
'Good', and about the same as my standalone DVD player.

-dsr-

--
Every time you give up a right, the terrorists win.
Tyranny is something that creeps up on you.

http://tao.merseine.nu:81/~dsr/eula.html is hereby incorporated by reference.