[mythtv-users] Compiling latest SVN

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 23 19:23:46 UTC 2007

Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 10:38:23AM -0500, Harry Devine wrote:
>
>> I wanted to try and see how to compile and use the latest SVN
>> version, so I backed up my database, followed the SVN on Fedora Wiki
>> article
>> (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Installing_MythTV_SVN_on_Fedora_Core)
>> and compiled everything.  All seemed to work fine, but now when I
>> try to start the frontend, I get an error stating: "error while
>> object file: No such file or directory".  Also, if I enter
>> mythbackend --version, it tells me 0.20.2-169.fc6, which is what I
>> was running previously.  Any ideas on what I'm missing?
>>

> Are you aware that there are trunk packages at ATrpms (bleeding)?
> Which happens to be just two days old, so there isn't much in svn
> trunk that isn't in the packages.
>
> If you want to check out svn trunk code by testign and reporting to
> developers what you find out, then the packages are a very good start,
> as you may find also bugs in packaging and help us improve the
> packages themselves. Furthermore the packages do give some points in
> time of the trunk to be able to compare with other users.
>
> If OTOh you want to gather some experience in mythtv building (maybe
> because you want to become a developer, contribute some code/plugin
> etc), then you should remove the packages completely and start from
> scratch.
>
> The suggestions made in this thread follow a hybrid model (keeping
> parts of the packages, having a dual setup under /usr and /usr/local
> etc, removing package files w/o removeing the package from the package
> database etc.). I wouldn't recommend doing that. Either you need
> latest code as a user (which you get w/o any warranties, of course,
> and only under the assumption that if it breaks you'll follow usual
> mythtv bug reporting procedure, backtraces etc), or you need to
> develop in which case the packaging will be just in your way.

Well, I used the following command to remove the packages: "rpm -qa
|grep myth |xargs rpm -e".  I was under the impression that this would
remove everything, but obviously that wasn't the case.  I did want to
get used to compiling  the source and building from scratch.  I am very
familiar with compiling code as I've been a developer for the FAA for 15
years.  I just haven't done much code compilations on Linux, so I
thought the experience would be great for me.  Who knows? Maybe I can
contribute something code-wise in the future.

Do you have any thoughts on what I can look for to see if pieces of the
packages are still lingering about?  I had installed my system via
Mythdora 4.0, and updated it via yum when the switch to SD came about.

Thanks,
Harry