[mythtv-users] Compiling latest SVN

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Nov 23 20:36:47 UTC 2007

On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 02:23:46PM -0500, Harry Devine wrote:
> Well, I used the following command to remove the packages: "rpm -qa
> |grep myth |xargs rpm -e".  I was under the impression that this
> would remove everything,

That is my impression as well :)

OK, perhaps you should use grep -i myth, as there is "perl-MythTV" as
well, but I don't think that should be you problem. Or if it is, you
now know how to deal with it :)

> but obviously that wasn't the case.

What is not being removed?

> Do you have any thoughts on what I can look for to see if pieces of the
> packages are still lingering about?  I had installed my system via
> Mythdora 4.0, and updated it via yum when the switch to SD came about.

When you use rpm -e on a package it only leaved edited config files
behind, but it even renames them so that they don't interfere.

Reading through the thread again it looked like your problem was that
the packages removed "too much", e.g. parts of init scripts that you
wanted to keep around. That's the opposite problem of what you
describe. If you need to keep the initscripts, then just copy them
into a safe place before removing the packages.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net