[mythtv-users] Compiling latest SVN

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 23 21:02:43 UTC 2007

Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 02:23:46PM -0500, Harry Devine wrote:
>
>> Well, I used the following command to remove the packages: "rpm -qa
>> |grep myth |xargs rpm -e".  I was under the impression that this
>> would remove everything,
>>

> That is my impression as well :)
>
> OK, perhaps you should use grep -i myth, as there is "perl-MythTV" as
> well, but I don't think that should be you problem. Or if it is, you
> now know how to deal with it :)
>

>> but obviously that wasn't the case.
>>

> What is not being removed?
>

>> Do you have any thoughts on what I can look for to see if pieces of the
>> packages are still lingering about?  I had installed my system via
>> Mythdora 4.0, and updated it via yum when the switch to SD came about.
>>

> When you use rpm -e on a package it only leaved edited config files
> behind, but it even renames them so that they don't interfere.
>
> Reading through the thread again it looked like your problem was that
> the packages removed "too much", e.g. parts of init scripts that you
> wanted to keep around. That's the opposite problem of what you
> describe. If you need to keep the initscripts, then just copy them
> into a safe place before removing the packages.

I'm not sure what's not being removed, but the fact that when I run
"mythbackend --version" and it complains about not finding
/usr/bin/mythbackend, then something's hanging around pointing to that
location.  The only script that I saw get renamed was
/etc/sysconfig/mythbackend.  It was renamed to mythbackend.rpmsave, and
the only thing in the file is "MYTHTV_HOME=/home/mythtv".  What
initscripts should I be looking for to keep?

Thanks,
Harry