[mythtv-users] high quality dvd rip tip

Steve MacLaren scram69 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 00:54:48 UTC 2007

Thought I would pass along a recent discovery:

I've struggled for some time playing ISOs and vobs ripped with MythDVD
using the internal player.  ISOs sometimes contain much undesired
content forcing you to navigate considerably to get to the movie.
vobs ripped with Myth inevitably have permanently broken seektables.
So I had resigned myself to "Excellent" quality, or .avis - these are
fine for most of my DVDs (kids films) as they are fairly compact;
however, there are a few DVDs in the library that justify a higher
quality rip.

So I have started using k9copy and have been very pleased with the
results.  It lets you choose exactly which title(s) to rip and then
will rip them as ISO files.  That way I get a true reproduction of
only the part of the DVD I want.  And, Myth's internal player handles
playback of these ISOs quite well - no seektable issues.