[mythtv-users] quiet, small, fanless frontend

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 01:16:16 UTC 2007

Steer clear of any board with the VT8235 chipset (which I believe some
if not all CLE266 boards use). The VT8235 has a DMA lockup bug which
means you will have a hard time using an IDE DVD drive.

Also, my supposedly fanless 600MHz Via Epia board (with above
mentioned defective chipset) overheats without active cooling if the
CPU is being used, so I had to add a 40mm fan. Now my setup is no
longer fanless, which sort of defeats the whole point.

I regret buying the Via board, and recommend others avoid Via too.

600Mhz should be fine with an MPEG2 capture board (and for watching
DVDs), if the various MPEG accelerations are enabled on the FE. 600Mhz
doesn't cope well with 640x480 MPEG4 playback from a dumb framegrabber
source.