[mythtv-users] Compiling latest SVN

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 24 02:41:52 UTC 2007

Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 04:02:43PM -0500, Harry Devine wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure what's not being removed, but the fact that when I run
>> "mythbackend --version" and it complains about not finding
>> /usr/bin/mythbackend, then something's hanging around pointing to that
>> location.
>>

> Or maybe your build does point to /usr instead of /usr/local?
>

>> The only script that I saw get renamed was
>> /etc/sysconfig/mythbackend.  It was renamed to mythbackend.rpmsave,
>> and the only thing in the file is "MYTHTV_HOME=/home/mythtv".  What
>> initscripts should I be looking for to keep?
>>

> For now: none. If you want to get the build done you don't really
> *need* the initscripts, these are for automating everything. You can
> simply fire up an xterm and call mythbackend in there.
>
> Once you're content with your build you can wrap it up by picking a
> sane start/stop scripts for mythtv. You can take some from the
> tarball, the packages or the wiki, just make sure everything else
> works before the wrap-up.

I'm not sure that the first part of yous answer applies.  I just got
done doing a make uninstall to remove everything, then recompiled
everything (mythtv, mythplugins, myththemes) from scratch, making 100%
certain that I specified --prefix=/usr/local in each configure script.
If I enter 'which mythbackend', I get '/usr/local/bin/mythbackend', but
running 'mythbackend --version' still gives me '/usr/bin/mythbackend: No
such file or directory'.  I can't find out why it's still looking for
mythbackend in /usr/bin.  I'm not too worried about any init scripts at
the momemt.  I can handle that later.  I just want know that I've built
the latest code, and that code is being found and executed.  That's not
happening based on the /usr/bin/mythbackend error.

Thanks,
Harry