[mythtv-users] Mythtv not setting the preset channel correctly on ubuntu.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Nov 24 15:51:39 UTC 2007

On 11/24/2007 02:16 AM, Brady wrote:
> On a fully updated ubuntu machine I am running into a strange problem
> where ubuntu will not properly set the preset channel so my cable box
> doesn't work.

Use Composite or S-Video instead of RF Modulated output from your cable
box.  Then, you don't need (can /not/ specify) a preset channel.

>  Is this a known issue?

Some have reported similar behavior.  I'm still of the opinion that the
behavior is a result of misconfiguration, but I haven't done any testing
myself.

>  I tried working around this by
> setting the channel by adding 'ivtv-tune -c 3 /dev/video0' in the
> mythtv-backend init script

Though if you get it to work, it's likely to only affect the first
recording, so you'd have to reboot between each recording.

>  but it is segfaulting on startup (But not
> when I run by hand later.. I assume the card is being initialized some
> time between.) Anybody have any idea how this can be fixed?

Best bet is to use Composite or S-Video.  They will /both/ give you much
better quality, anyway.

Mike