[mythtv-users] quiet, small, fanless frontend

Tim Phipps mythtv-users at phipps-hutton.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Nov 24 17:14:16 UTC 2007

Tyler T wrote:
> Steer clear of any board with the VT8235 chipset (which I believe some
> if not all CLE266 boards use). The VT8235 has a DMA lockup bug which
> means you will have a hard time using an IDE DVD drive.

I think you're safe if you get a board up to a year old. I have a M6000
which has a flash ide module and a dvd drive. It has never hung. The
previous older one I had would stop all the time (hard lock up,
scrambled video, cpu temp rising 'till you power off). I think VIA have
quietly fixed the bug and probably won't admit it since they'll have to
pay to recertify their MS Windows stickers).
> Also, my supposedly fanless 600MHz Via Epia board (with above
> mentioned defective chipset) overheats without active cooling if the
> CPU is being used, so I had to add a 40mm fan. Now my setup is no
> longer fanless, which sort of defeats the whole point.

I can't get mine (600MHz) to go above 60C and there's not even a fan in
the box. The disk is a flash ide module which is very cool (both senses
of the word) so that might help. What CPU usage do you have when playing
video. Mine's about 18% when playing PAL recorded tv, and about 45% for
mplayer with bob deinterlace.
> I regret buying the Via board, and recommend others avoid Via too.

I know what you mean but if you get a good one they're very good, if you
get a bad one send it back if you can.

Cheers,
Tim.