[mythtv-users] Additional Storage

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Nov 24 17:40:09 UTC 2007

On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 03:56:26PM -0000, Paul Broadwith wrote:
> Whichever way I decide to go above, I was wanting to know whether to use
> a Linux RAID 1 configuration (with second drives) or just using the
> second drives to store an image of the first (using 'dd' every week or
> month) - that way I have a complete image without the speed impact of
> Linux RAID (assuming there is one that isn't negligible).

You will get dozens of divergent opinions on this.  :-)

Any RAID 1 is better than none; I'm in the "hardware's better" camp,
and everyone's reasons, on both sides, are in last months archives, so
I won't rehash mine here, and hopefully everyone will follow suit.

On the other hand: you're better off having root and (especially) boot
on a separate drive, and yes, mirroring them occasionally to dedicated
partitions on one (or more) of your other drives -- you don't want this
to be automatic since saving your ass from administrative screwups is
one of it's major jobs.

Do that with a pre-configured script calling dd, backing up to
partitions that stay unmounted.

But having your OS and your media on separate spindles will definitely
be a win.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Witty slogan redacted until AMPTP stop screwing WGA