[mythtv-users] Getting started with XvMC-OpenGL

Ben Lancaster lists at benlancaster.co.uk
Sun Nov 25 01:06:58 UTC 2007

Hi there,

This may well be a question for atrpms-users or mythtv-dev, but I
thought I'd try here first. Forgive me if this isn't the appropriate
place.

I've recently upgraded to the latest mythtv-trunk from ATRPMs, and
have fallen at the first hurdle with the new xvmc-opengl renderer.

My playback profile is set up to use it, however when playing LiveTV
or recordings, mythfrontend.log says:

> VideoOutputXv: Desired video renderer 'xvmc-opengl' not available.
> codec 'MPEG2 IDCT' makes 'xvmc-blit,' available, using 'xvmc-blit'
> instead.

Could that be that the MythTV binaries I've installed haven't been
compiled against the XvMCNVIDIA libraries? (as per http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2007-August/190307.html)

I'm running nvidia-graphics100.14.23, kernel 2.6.23.1-21.fc7 on an
x86_64 with MythTV 0.21 (svn 14921).

 From what I gather, XvMC-OpenGL handles frame rate conversion better
than xv/standard xvmc. My source is UK DVB (PAL-50), but my box is
hooked up to my Samsung LCD via VGA (no DVI/HDMI on my model) that
will only display 1280x720 at 60Hz. As such, you get a very slight
frame jitter due to the frame duplication to make the 50Hz
deinterlaced source play back at 60Hz. Will XvMC-OpenGL offer an
improvement?

Best,

Ben