[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase - program info only

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Nov 25 02:36:24 UTC 2007

On 11/24/2007 08:26 PM, Mark Steckel wrote:
> I've scrounge around on mythtv.org, googled, and searched through the
> last few months of the mythtv-users archive w/o finding an answer...
> If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.
>
> Is it possible to have mythfilldatabase to update *only* programming
> information based on xmltv id's *without* changing anything else such
> as channels?
>
> Example - via mythtv-setup, using the channel editor and an empty
> channel list, I created one new channel. I assigned it a name,
> number, call sign, XMLTV ID, video source (Schedules Direct), and set
> the freq/channel. This should be enough information for
> mythfilldatabase to retrieve program information on the created
> channel based purely on the xmltv id.
>
> However, when I run mythfilldatabase and regardless of cmd line
> options, it always insists on adding additional channels. I don't
> want this. I want it to respect my channel setup and only update the
> program information.
>
> (And yes, I understand that I can delete channels from my Schedules
> Direct lineup, but this doesn't accomplish what I want.)

Don't know how it works with the new Schedules Direct stuff (Daniel
could probably give you more detail), but with Zap2It Labs, if you told
Myth not to add new channels (with --remove-new-channels), it would also
remove those channels from the Z2L lineup.

This was designed this way on purpose so that Myth doesn't waste
resources downloading information that it doesn't need.  So, the
question is why do you need to have channels in your Z2L lineup that
aren't in Myth?  (And, as an aside, why aren't you using
mythfilldatabase to set up your channels in Myth--the way it was
designed to be done--rather than manually defining them?)

> Any idea if this is possible? I am open to suggestions that I create
> an xml file and update the database with that, I'd just need to know
> how to pull down the info and create the file. (I've done plenty of
> coding, esp Perl, so that doesn't scare me.)
XMLTV's tv_grab_na_dd .  See
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/283058#283058 .  Just
please make sure there's a really good reason for you to always download
information from SD and then throw it away without using it--as it seems
to me a waste and not a good thing to do.

Mike