[mythtv-users] New HDTV: Which x resolution should I use?

Michael Rice mikerice1969 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 09:19:27 UTC 2007

On Nov 24, 2007 6:07 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 24, 2007 5:17 PM, Michael Rice <mikerice1969 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have a new HDTV which is connected to the TV with DVI->HDMI cable.  Looks good
> > to me but I am new to HD so who knows... Anyway when I do nothing
> > nvidia-auto-select
> > chooses a virtual screen size of 1920x1080.  The TV supposedly has a
> > native resolution
> > of 1366x768 (not sure how to verify that).
> >
> > So it would seem to me that for 720p recordings Myth/X would scale it up to
> > 1920x1080 then the TV would end up scaling it back to 720p... True?  Is there
> > a better way to configure X for a better picture or better performance?
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.  The verbose EDID info is below.
>
> <snip>
>
> you will want to set up 3 resolutions in your xorg.conf, one for the
> native resolution of the TV to use for the interface, the other two
> being 720p and the 1920x1080 it's currently using. You can also set up
> a 480p resolution but Xv should do fine in scaling SD material to
> 720p. Then have Myth use the 720p modeline for 720p and 480 content
> and the 1080 modeline for 1080i/p content letting the TV then scale
> it.

Saving the native resolution for later I added some modes to my xorg.conf:
(II) NVIDIA(0): Assigned Display Device: DFP-0
(II) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes:
(II) NVIDIA(0):     "1920x1080_60"
(II) NVIDIA(0):     "1280x720_60"
(II) NVIDIA(0):     "720x480_60"
(II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 1920 x 1080
(**) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (100, 100); computed from "DPI" X config option

How do I "have Myth use" these modes?  I looked in the playback profiles
but I don't see how to select modes.  When the 1920x1080 mode is
there it seems to only use that one.