[mythtv-users] Mythfilldatabase is screwing up my channels (UK)

Paul Mason latepaul at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 16:24:33 UTC 2007

On 25/11/2007, Mike McKay <mike.mckay at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> I receive DVB-T ("Freeview") in the UK using mythTV 0.20.2 running on
> Ubuntu 7.04.  I have used various versions of mythTV for about 18 months
> and normally receive program data from the Radio Times site using
> mythfilldatabase which, in turn, uses tv_grab_uk_rt.
>
> I recently added a Hauppauge Nova-T 500 to my existing Hauppauge Nova-T
> to give me a total of three tuners and, at the same time, had my antenna
> re-oriented to a different transmitter.
>
> To "retune" my channels I used mythTV_setup, deleted all channels and
> transports, entered the transport details for the new transmitter and
> then did a "full scan of existing transports".  (I did it this way after
> multiple problems with the simpler, more automated "full scan".)
>
> I then ran mythfilldatabase which did not give the desired results: it
> added a completely new set of channels which could not be tuned/received.
>
> Looking at the database channel table, those channels which were derived
> from the transport scan had the following entries in their columns:
>     channum:  correct numerical value
>     callsign: name as below, truncated (not, I think, the callsign)
>     name:     text name
>     sourceid: 1
>
> Those channels derived from mythfilldatabase had the following entries:
>     channum:  2nd <displayname> in xmltv entry from ~/.xmltv/channels-list
>     callsign: five-digit caps+numeric value (I think this is the callsign)
>     name:     1st <displayname> in xmltv entry from ~/.xmltv/channels-list
>     sourceid: 1
>
> My initial conclusions are:
> 1.  The mythfilldatabase channels cannot be tuned because they have an
> alphanumeric value in the channum column.
> 2.  The callsign column for the mythfilldatabase channels is a credible
> callsign but that from the transport scan channels is not.
> 3.  From what I see in the channel table I cannot see how mythTV can
> perform an unambiguous correlation between those channels derived from
> the transport scan and already in the table, and the channel information
> it receives from the Radio Times web site.
>
> I've now spent considerable time on this but am completely stuck.  As a
> work-around I'm now using the EIT programme data but it's not as good as
> the Radio Times.
>
> Can anyone shed any light on this ?  Even if you don't know what's
> causing the screw-up, it would be useful to know what the channel table
> is supposed to contain when everything is working correctly and I am
> very interested to know how mythfilldatabase is supposed to work out
> what pre-existing channel corresponds to channel program data obtained
> from the RT website.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike

It's all about xmltvids. The grabber script updates the channel based on
matching xmltvids. If it can't find a channel with the same xmltvid as in
its list it creates a new one.

Here's a little howto I wrote for myself after the last Freeview channel
re-ordering:

1) shutdown mythbackend

2) backup db

3) make copies of tables – channels, program, record, recorded
    (create table pm_channels as select * from channels, etc)

4) run mythtv-setup – delete channels and re-scan

5) start mythbackend

6) update channels using SQL/mythweb so xmltvids match

7) make sure chanids in program, record, recorded match 'new' channels

8) run mythfilldatabase

If chanids match then:

update channel c,pm_channel p

     set c.xmltvid=p.xmltvid

     where c.chanid=p.chanid

     and c.chanid != 1019;

update channel c,pm_channel p

     set c.icon=p.icon

     where c.chanid=p.chanid

     and c.chanid != 1019;

update channel c,pm_channel p

     set c.callsign=p.callsign

     where c.chanid=p.chanid

     and c.chanid != 1019;

 where 1019 is a channel that has changed

HTH
--
Paul Mason