[mythtv-users] Mythtv on FC6 -> Fedora7 Upgrade

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Sun Nov 25 21:53:30 UTC 2007

Shanon Mulley wrote:
> On Nov 10, 2007 3:44 AM, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net> wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 09:34:09PM +1100, Shanon Mulley wrote:
>>> As FC6 is due to have its support ended soon, I'm trying to upgrade my
>>> mythtv FC6 machine to Fedora7.
>> Since Fedora 8 is not really that different than F7., but has 6 months
>> longer to live, maybe it's better to go F8 instead?
>>
>> Note that the Fedora Project leaders decided to have FC6 and F8
>> overlap for a month to allow this scenario: Users skipping one interim
>> distribution, e.g. upgrading every year instead of twice a year.
>>
>> Or go right to CentOS5 which will be supported for much longer. Even
>> less to worry about once the system is running.
>> --
>> Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
>>

> I ended up abandoning the FC6-F7 upgrade. I'm just going to have to
> deal with an out of date kernel.
>
> I think when this machine gets to out of out doubt, I might go the
> CentOS way. Having an OS which is supported for a number of years is
> starting to sound very appealing. Hopfully by then there will be a
> good CentOS mythtv installation guide.

I converted my server (which runs my MythTV backen) from Fedora Core 6
i386 to CentOS 5 x86_64 a couple days ago. The conversion was smooth.

I did a clean install, reformatting swap / /boot and /var but not /home
or /var/video (where I store my videos). I exported my mythconverg
database and imported after the install. I saved copies of / /boot and
/var in case I needed something from them. The ATrpms repository
provided everything needed for MythTV, Add the EPEL repository and I had
almost everything else I needed for the other services provided by my
server. I did need to build phpLDAPadmin and XCA using the source RPMs
from Fedora Core 6.