[mythtv-users] Newbie Issues

Bill Omer bill.omer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 15:13:54 UTC 2007

On Nov 26, 2007 10:03 AM, Rob Ogle <rogle at css1.net> wrote:

> OK gang…I'm building my first box here and I'm stuck.
>

> I just downloaded Mythbuntu 7.10. I'm building a BE/FE combo with the
> following specs:
>
> ·         P4 3GHz
>
> ·         256MB ram
>
> ·         160GB SATA
>
> ·         nVidia GeForce 64MB PCI express
>
> ·         Hauppauge 500PVR
>
> ·         On-board audio
>

> Issue(s)…I'm not sure if they are related and if so, how…
>
> 1.       I can't get a channel listing: I've signed up for an account at
> SchedulesDirect, but when I run mythfilldatabase it says that it can't find
> the page. I did find one reference that says if the tuner isn't setup
> properly it can cause the channel download to fail. Any pointers on this
> one?
>
> 2.       Channel scan on tuner1 shows no channels:
>
> a.       Under Capture Cards it shows a "4VL: /dev/video0"
>
> b.      under Video Sources it shows "Schedules Direct" and I've put my
> username and password info in for the config
>
> c.       Under Input Connections I have "Tuner1 -> Schedules Direct"
>

> Even without the channel listings, shouldn't I be able to view tv?
>
> Under Capture Cards should there be two entries since the 500PVR has two
> tuners?
>

> I have skimmed the manual, but I have not dissected it. So, I apologize in
> advance if someone responses with RTFM.

I can't remember the exact name of the option, but don't use v4l,
rather the next option.  If you are using a pvr-500, you'll need to
add two capture cards.  One will be /dev/video0  and the other
/dev/video1

As far as the program guide data, what error is mythfilldatabase
actually giving you?  Seeing some 404's is common.

And you'll need more member than 256 megs, especially if this is going
to be a combo ba/fe.

And don't skim the manual.  Read it and the list archives and you
should be able to find a solution to just about any problem you'll run
in to.

--
Regards,
Bill Omer