[mythtv-users] HDTV Question from somebody considering MythTV

Doug Young goofdad at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 16:36:13 UTC 2007

> 1) Capturing the HDMI output -- obviously HDMI is made to avoid this
> but it seems there has to be some sort of hack for this?
> 2) Capturing the component video output -- but what resolution will a
> Satellite box output to Component outputs?  Not full HD I believe?
> 3) Using a HD Tivo to capture from CableCard and extracting that video
> into MythTV for distribution to other rooms, etc.

1) and 2) are well-nigh impossible.  I haven't met an HDMI hack, and
component video capture is generally considered impossible because
real-time compression would require tremendous processing power.  I
personally haven't considered 3) because I've never owned a Tivo,
never hope to own one, and thus have no baseline experience.

For what you're asking, the options (as I have seen them presented
here on the list before) are a: go for cable and demand firewire
output (and hope this gets you the channels you want, which is not
guaranteed), b: go with one of the legally gray satellite box hacks
linked below (expensive, questionable legality, but is reported to
work*), or c: wait and hope something better comes along to do 1) or
2) above.

Personally, I'm seriously considering option b, but I have to wait and
see what the tax man sayeth.
--
Doug

Links:
http://www.169time.com/
http://www.nextcomwireless.com/r5000/home.htm

*: In order to get these to work, you will need to maintain an
intermediary box (called an AVX box for 169time, and a windows box for
the r5000.  The r5000 is reportedly more stable, but YMMV.
-- DJ