[mythtv-users] Additional Storage

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Nov 26 22:09:35 UTC 2007

On Sun, Nov 25, 2007 at 02:13:22PM -0600, jedi wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 24, 2007 at 12:41:33PM -0500, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 04:37:06PM +0000, Mike Perkins wrote:
> > > The point of having a separate system disk, which also houses your Mysql
> > > database(s),
> >
> > Excellent side point: make sure your mysql backup script makes copies
> > of the SQL dump file on every drive on your machine.  They should have
>
>   ...you can take that one step further.
>
>   Run your mysql backup script on your other machines.
>
>   It's pretty simple to do the mysql dump on any other machine you've
> got setup for use with MythTV. Just use the db login info from your
> mysql.txt file. Some of the example scripts might already do this.

There is one reason why that's not the same (and not quite as good) as
merely copying the dump file...

If you copy the dump file, you only have to lock the whole database
*once*, and all your backup files are exactly the same.  This can be
useful...

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Witty slogan redacted until AMPTP stop screwing WGA