[mythtv-users] Migrating primary backend

Sean Goodpasture goofygrin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 02:39:04 UTC 2007

On Nov 26, 2007 5:38 PM, Bill Omer <bill.omer at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On Nov 26, 2007 6:16 PM, Sean Goodpasture <goofygrin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've got a main backend that's a piece of proverbial poop and I bought
> some
> > new hardware to upgrade it this weekend.  I've got a couple front ends
> that
> > are slave backends for comm flagging (all tuners are in the main
> backend).
> >
> > I'm going to start fresh on the new server since the old one's on a
> crusty
> > hard drive (that's really loud!).
> >
> > My plan of attack is:
> > 1. Build the new server
> > 2. Get Mythdora (my distro of choice) up and running and upgraded and
> move
> > all my custom scripts over to the new box
> > 3. Move all the tuners over to the new server and get their drivers
> running
> > 4. Backup the db on the main backend
> > 5. Restore the db on the new server
> > 6. Point all my front ends/slave backends to the new backend
> > 7. Burn the old backend
> >
> > Does this sound about right?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
>

> Hey Sean
>
> Check this out:
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.7
>
> I've done this recently myself.  I've found that its best to install
> your distro of choice and get mythtv working on the new system without
> worrying about the database.  After you get everything working
> (tuners, line up etc..), then move the data (your recorded programs)
> and migrate the database as the howto describes.   This seems to be
> the best way to keep things clean.
>

> --
> Regards,
> Bill Omer

Thanks Bill.

All of my shows are on a network drive, so I'm not terribly worried about
moving them (just need to mount the network share in the same place).  I had
a big hassle getting all the recording devices set up quite right (with a
lot of monkeying in the database to make the analog portions of my hybrid
cards be slave cards of the digital portions so that recordings worked
correctly.

Sean