[mythtv-users] mythtranscode eats part of my recordings

Joe Ripley vitaminjoe at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 15:29:35 UTC 2007

On Nov 26, 2007 10:46 PM, John Westlund <john.westlund at gmail.com> wrote:
> mythtranscode appears to go off the rails for extended periods and then
> produce a file that is missing video.

<snip>

>  The source video appears to play fine prior to being transcoded - but after
> large chunks of the recording are gone.  The problem seems to line up with
> certain transitions between commercials - so the "transcoded" video seems
> almost fine except I'll be missing everything between two commercial breaks.
> I'm not set to cut any video from my recordings - and a fair number of them
> transcode without issue, ie no video cut at all.  I tend to get the first
> chunk of a show and lose the second chunk of the show, and then get the last
> bit of the show after the final commercial break.
>
> Any ideas on what to try or look for?

I might be way off on this, but I had a similar problem a couple weeks
ago.  Some of my transcoded recordings were missing video.  Turns out,
one of my hard drives was having read errors.  Whenever Myth tried to
transcode a recording from that drive, it would produce a partial .nuv
file that played fine but was missing video.

Take a quick peek in your /var/log/messages for any hard drive related
error messages.

--
Joe Ripley
vitaminjoe at gmail.com