[mythtv-users] Blew out my root partition

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 00:18:30 UTC 2007

On Nov 27, 2007 11:37 AM, David Herman <dherman516 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok.. This is the second time I did this and I am quite embarassed...
>
> I have my myth box set up like this
>
> 3 Hard Drives --
>  1 250 Gig - Drive 1;
>  2 500 Gig -- Drive 2 and 3
>
> Drive 1:
> /
> /bin
> /(all of the standard ubuntu tree)
> /media/mythtv

<snip>

> Last night for some reason, myth did not do proper space management and
> utlilized 100% of the space on Drive 1 (to a point where it could not close
> the files it was writing on the drive). What settings should I have used to
> prevent this?

You could do what we did to prevent error logs from overwhelming systems --
make /media/mythtv a separate partition on drive 1.  It can't overflow its
partition to corrupt the O/S even if its on the same hard drive.

Of course, its not so easy to do if you've got a running system unless you've
got a spare disk at least as big as drive 1 laying around, and if you did, why
didn't you already mount it as drive 4 ;-) ?

HTH

Craig.

Craig.