[mythtv-users] Hauppage remote - I've had numbers and keys working, but nothing else.

Damian damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Wed Nov 28 19:46:42 UTC 2007

Hello all,

I've just posted to a thread regarding the Hauppage remote on a
Mythbuntu foum, but thought I'd ask here too.

I've never managed to get my remote to work. Pre or post Mythbuntu. I
was hoping that Mythbuntu would sort it out (one of my main reasons for
installing it on top of my Ubuntu/Mythtv system), but still nothing. I
have number keys and directional key working, but pretty much nothing
else so I have to use my keyboard all or the time.

I have 2 Hauppage Nova-t cards in my machine and a long ir cable coming
out of one of them (I actually spliced two together to make it long
enough, but there is input getting in so i don't think that's causing a
problem).

The person who started the thread I repled to got things working after
he seilised that his remote was recognised by the kernel and followed
some advice here:
http://parker1.co.uk/mythtv_ubuntu2.php
I have just re-looked at the parker site and ran
cat /proc/bus/input/devices

where I find I have 2 Hauppage entries (to be expected), on event 5 and
evern6.

Running
sudo evetest /dev/input/event5
doesn't do much, but
sudo evetest /dev/input/event6
fills me with hope. Everything I press suddenly does give me a response!
I don't understand the responses, but they're there

However, when I go down further to the part where it says:
As usual, we'll give it a quick test ...
sudo /usr/sbin/lircd -H dev/input -d /dev/input/event2 -n
and (in another terminal)
irw
"Press some buttons and you should see the events displayed"
Well, I see nothing at all displayed! Not even the numbers and cursor
keys giving any input now!

I tried looking at the hardware.conf from the parker site and editing
mine to include the 'event6', but I've rebooted and now my remote is
doing nothing.

Can anyone tell me what's going on here?

Cheers
Damian