[mythtv-users] Issues with shared NFS media store

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Nov 29 01:59:38 UTC 2007

On 11/26/2007 03:30 PM, Steve Rencontre wrote:

> I have a setup with a master and slave backend which both store
> recordings on the master. On the slave, I use NFS to access the disk on
> the master, so I have something like:
>
> Master:
>     mount /dev/sdb1 /AVStore
>
> Slave:
>     mount master:/AVstore /AVStore
>
> This works fine, except for the fact that Myth doesn't seem to have any
> awareness that these two locations are actually the same, which gives
> rise to a couple of problems.
>
> The first, very minor, one is that 'System Status' thinks I have twice
> the capacity that I actually have.
>
> The other is that if, on the master, I try to access a recording made by
> the slave, then even though the master has the file locally, it still
> goes off to the slave to retrieve it. Worse, if I want to burn a DVD,
> I'm told that I can't because the MythArchive plugin only supports local
> files.
>
> Have I missed something? Is there any way of telling Myth that the
> slave's storage directory is not a local disk?

Sounds like your NFS configuration is broken.  There should be a
file--something like .nfslock or similar--in the recordings directory
(/AVStore) whose sole purpose is to tell Myth that the directory is a
shared directory.  I'm guessing that permissions are preventing that
file from being accessed from one of your systems.  Remember that NFS
permissions are done via uid/gid--/not/ by user name/group name.

Mike