[mythtv-users] Debugging mythfrontend video freeze

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Thu Nov 29 16:01:46 UTC 2007

>What kernel are you running?

2.6.22 with ck1 patches. I've also seen it with 2.6.20 and 2.6.21. My
most recent kernel build is with PREEMT turned off. That solved
another issue (NVidia green screen corruption) but the freeze was
still present.

>I've had some recent problems with sudden lock ups with a 2.6.17
>kernel, and found corresponding messages about IRQs in
>/var/log/messages.  My other machine with same svn and same kernel,
>but different hardware, has no problem at all.  The fix for me was
>adding "irqpoll" to the boot options.

There is nothing in /var/log/messages that indicate any errors. Since
running into this problem I've now got the kernel compiles in debug
mode so I can see everything but the kernel output is nothing out of
the ordinary. Network I/O is fine, X11 is fine, NVidia is fine and
audio is fine.  That's what is so strange, nothing show any errors or
problems. That's what makes me suspect there is a program logic race
condition inside mythfrontend.

Since I'm not getting any response about info regarding the internal
program flow (which should really be documented somewhere), I'm just
going to have to slog through the code and figure it out myself. I
guess this is a rite of passage, I have to prove my programming
skills now. Too bad, this will delay creating a USB bootable
MythBuntu install for this target platform.

Scott