[mythtv-users] WinTV PVR 150: Trying to Get Tuner and Composite to Access Two Different Video Sources

Mache Creeger mache at creeger.com
Thu Nov 29 17:48:23 UTC 2007

While I never assumed that I could have the WinTV PVR 150 encode two
video streams simultaneously, I did assume that I could have it
switch from one input to the other depending on the channels
supported in the respective video source and the requests being made
by the recording software or live TV viewing.

Since my first video source supports analog channels 2-82 and is
attached to the tuner and the other video source supports the digital
channels above 100,  I thought myth could distinguish between the two
video sources and schedule their use to occur non-simultaneously.

What I hear you saying is that myth will only support one video
source per encoder even though mythtv-setup allows you to configure
multiple video sources on the card.

if this is true, I am puzzled by the following statements in the
mythtv docs (http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-9.html#ss9.1) see bolded.

Input Connections

The final configuration item is Input Connections. On this screen,
you will associate the various video sources you defined earlier with
a physical input to a encoder card. It's entirely possible that you
have multiple tuners, and each tuner has a different input, so on
this screen you let MythTV know which device will connect to which
input source.

When you start this screen, you should see a listing of the various
input connections available on each of the Capture cards you defined
earlier. For example, you may have a capture card with a tuner, a
SVideo and a Composite connection. If you wanted to associate the
tuner (a.k.a., "Television") with an "Antenna" source you defined in
Video Sources, you would move to the /dev/videodevice (Television) ->
line and press the space bar. Using the left and right arrow keys
will show you the various choices you have already created for video
source. In our case, you would use the left/right cursor keys until
"Antenna" was shown in the Video Source field. Press down to move to
the next setting.

NOTE: Don't add a video source to a hardware input if you don't
actually have anything connected there. For example, adding "Cable"
to the Tuner and to the Composite inputs without having something
connected to Composite will lead to blank recordings.

The two bolded sections seem to suggest that you can have multiple
inputs to a single encoder card as long as they each represent a
distinct physical video feed.

I am confused...

-- Mache