[mythtv-users] Mythtv is recording shows that have already been recorded?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Nov 29 18:31:30 UTC 2007

On Nov 29, 2007, at 10:26 AM, Daniel Arfsten wrote:

> I have a problem with Mythtv recording an episode of Scrubs which
> has already been recorded in the past, watched, and deleted. Is it
> because after I delete it it's not there, so it thinks that it never
> recorded that episode? that would really stink if that's the case.
> Mythweb states for Scrubs to "Find and record one showing of this
> title each day." and these other settings are also checked:
> Check for duplicates in: All recordings
>
> Duplicate Check method: Subtitle and Description
> Also, there's a checkmark that I have tried that states, "Record new
> and expire old".
>
> It's also happening with other shows like Family Guy which has a
> recording setting of: "Record at any time on channel WCGV."
>
> So can anyone explain how Mythtv works for recordings that have
> already been recorded, watched, and deleted? Why is it recording it
> again or this normal? Much appreciated.

Because the Subtitle and Description for the show do not exactly match
the one that was already recorded so it's not seen as a duplicate
recording or because the program has generic program information and
therefore MythTV has no way to know if it's been recorded or not, so
it records it just in case.