[mythtv-users] Slow MySQL query after delete

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Thu Nov 29 18:33:57 UTC 2007

On Nov 29, 2007, at 10:21 AM, Michael Rice wrote:
> In most cases (at least for me) I don't think deleting a recording
> needs to invoke an immediate reschedule.  Maybe a "Delete Later" or
> "Delete But Don't Reschedule" option would be a good thing.

Maybe deletes should only provoke a reschedule if:
- The system is low on disk space
- Auto-expire is turned off by default.

Normally everything on my system is set to auto-expire, so if the
scheduler decides a program needs more space, it just kills off a few
old recordings anyway.  There isn't any situation where deleting a
file manually will make a recording possible that wasn't possible
before.

I found increasing the key_buffer setting in /etc/my.cnf from 16M to
32M made a significant difference in rescheduling speed on my system,
by the way.  64M might even be appropriate if you have a very large
program table and some RAM to spare.