[mythtv-users] building new myth machine for HD future - has this spec enough power?

Petr Stehlik pstehlik at sophics.cz
Thu Nov 29 19:24:06 UTC 2007

Hi all,

after two years of happiness with combined frontend/backend powered by
AMD Sempron 3100+ and nVIDIA GF 5200 with DVI connected to LCD 1360x768
I am going to order new components for a machine that should replace
this one and hopefully handle the upcoming HD content and also the new
(myth-vid) fancy OpenGL screen output plus ideally also the new great
deinterlacers  that are being discussed right now in mythtv-dev.

Some of you might be already using these new myth features so you could
perhaps tell me whether a GF 8400GS (64bit memory bus, 128 MB DRAM) is
enough for the OpenGL video out (including upscaling and deinterlacing?)
and a new lowpower AMD BE-2350 (Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane core but
only 45W TDP, hoping for overclocking it)  could handle the HW content
plus perhaps the greedy/yadif deinterlacing.

I could optionally replace the 64bit GF8400 with 128bit GF7300 but I was
hoping the 8400 would be better for Myth.

Also, if someone has good or bad experience with motherboard ASUS
M2N-SLI Deluxe (nForce 570 SLI chipset, ADI1988B sound) - especially
regarding sound support in 1.0.14 Alsa or automatic RTC wakeup.

Thanks in advance.

Petr