[mythtv-users] Slow MySQL query after delete

Dean Harding dean.harding at dload.com.au
Thu Nov 29 22:17:26 UTC 2007

Michael Rice wrote:
> In any case for me these rules/issues are not too important.  If I
> delete a Sponge Bob I can wait until the next normal reschedule and if
> I miss a few no big deal.  I'd gladly accept that trade off rather
> than sitting waiting in the UI.
>
> Nonetheless that "blocking behavior" in the UI is what is bad.  Can
> anyone (a dev?) explain why it does this?
>
> A reschedule later (or don't reschedule) option might improve the
> situation but it really only treats the symptom.  All reschedules do
> not block the UI so why does this one?  Would it be possible to queue
> the reschedule instead of waiting for it to finish?

My guess would be that that BUSQ is blocking some other query that the
UI executes to refresh it's screen.

If that's true, I can see two possible solutions:

1. Don't run any queries to refresh the screen. You know you just
deleted an episode, so just remove that episode from the list and move
on. That might be hard, though, if you just deleted the last episode
from a show, and the UI has to move to a different show...

2. If you delay the reschedule by some small value (maybe 10 seconds)
and every time another episode is deleted, reset the delay back to 10
seconds, that should allow you to delete things quickly without delaying
the re-schedule by too much (10 seconds after you delete the last show)

Not being a dev, of course, I wouldn't know :-)

Dean.